Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lucid Dreaming

Had my very first ever lucid dream tonight that lasted much longer than the ones that I have experienced before. This one lasted more about 3 minutes of dream time.

It has started as I woke up on a couch in the apartment where I grew up. I was holding a coin. The way I knew it was lucid was because I could easily make the coin stick to my thumb when I would let it go after holding it between my thumb and my first finger.

I stood up from the couch and walked into the hall towards the kitchen. I could see quite clearly and the colors were very vivid inside this world. I walked through the hall and wondered what I might be able to do. I did not want to attempt flying on purpose because I felt that the dream was very unstable and that if I would attempt something too demanding then I would wake up.

I've had lucid dreams before, but they never lasted more than a few seconds because the moment I would realize that I was dreaming, I would panic and wake up.

So I decided that I would fix my eyesight inside this dream. So I decided to go to the kitchen and focus my eyes. It worked. I could see sharply. There were no people in the apartment though. I was alone there, much like I have felt when I was little and my mother left me there during the days.

Every time I would look at that coin and let it go, I would be reminded again that I was dreaming. However it was harder and harder to stay lucid with time. It's fascinating how much conscious focus it takes to keep the dream going and how unstable the whole dream world is.

And when you wake up, there is no feeling of awakening like you feel from a normal dream. Instead you just sortof wake up seamlessly into the real world as though your eyes were open as you were sleeping. In fact, I think I opened my eyes while asleep inside the dream when I did the focusing exercise because my eyes felt sore and dry after waking up.

It was a really weird experience..

No comments:

Post a Comment